from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- transitive verb To paint by applying thick layers of pigment.
- transitive verb Archaic To enclose with or as if with a paste or crust.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To make into paste; knead.
- In painting, to lay on thickly and boldly the colors of.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To knead; to make into paste; to concrete.
- transitive verb (Paint.), rare To lay color on canvas by uniting them skillfully together. Cf.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb To
knead; to make into paste; to concrete.
- verb art To lay colour on
canvasby uniting them skillfully together. See impasto.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
im- in + paste: compare Italian impastare, Old French empaster.
Sorry, no example sentences found.