from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Mathematics A variable whose value determines the value of other variables.
- n. Statistics A manipulated variable in an experiment or study whose presence or degree determines the change in the dependent variable.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In an equation, any variable whose value is not dependent on any other in the equation.
- n. The variable that is changed or manipulated in a series of experiments.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. See Dependent variable, under Dependent.
- n. that one of two or more variables, connected with each other in any way whatever, to which changes are supposed to be given at will. There may be two or more independent variables in an equation or problem. Cf. Dependent variable, under Dependent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (statistics) a variable whose values are independent of changes in the values of other variables
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.