from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The area of the field bounded by home plate and first, second, and third bases.
- noun The defensive positions of first base, second base, third base, and shortstop considered as a unit.
- noun The area inside a racetrack or running track.
- noun A field located near a farmhouse.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In base-ball. See
field, n., 3.
- Under crop; noting arable land which is still kept under crop: distinguished from
- To inclose, as a piece of land; make a field of.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb rare To inclose, as a field.
- noun Scotland Arable and manured land kept continually under crop; -- distinguished from
- noun (Baseball) The diamond; -- opposed to
outfield. See Diamond, n., 5.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The area inside a
racetrackor running track.
- noun A constrained scope or area.
- noun agriculture An area to
cultivate: a field
- noun baseball The region of the field roughly bounded by the
home plate, first base, second baseand third base.
- noun baseball (as a modifier, functioning as an adjective) Of an event, happening in the infield.
- noun cricket The
regionof the fieldroughly boundedby the wicket keeper, slips, gully, point, cover, mid off, mid on, midwicketand square leg.
- verb transitive To
inclose(a piece of land); make a fieldof.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the area of a baseball field that is enclosed by 3 bases and home plate
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
•Camp quandary: The infield is in flux as 3B Josh Fields will be pushed by Viciedo, a 19-year-old from Cuba, and 2B Chris Getz by Lillibridge and Nix.
Pedro Feliz singles through a drawn-in infield to score Eric Bruntlett for a 4-3 lead.
Matt Kemp had a sacrifice fly, Blake singled through a drawn-in infield and Rafael Furcal had a run-scoring single to finish the five-run inning.
At the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, they call the infield area the "snake pit".
However, the move backfired as Williams chopped the game-winning hit over a drawn-in infield to lift Minnesota to just its third win in eight games.
Utley singled and Kenny Lofton singled past a drawn-in infield to score pinch runner Endy Chavez.
• The final out: Luis Gonzalez's RBI single against Mariano Rivera over the Yankees 'drawn-in infield scores Jay Bell and caps a two-run rally, giving the Arizona Diamondbacks a 3-2, Game 7 win on their home field.
Willy Taveras, Astros: Taveras thrust himself into Rookie of the Year contention by leading the majors in infield hits and stealing 34 bases.
Feliz followed with a single through a drawn-in infield to make it 9-7 before Nathan, who had walked just nine batters this season, issued his third walk of the inning.
I don't think it gets any better than that lineup, and the infield is pretty awesome with three Gold Glove-caliber players.