from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A place for the care of the infirm, sick, or injured, especially a small hospital or dispensary in an institution.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A place where sick or injured people are cared for, especially a small hospital; sickhouse.
- n. A clinic or dispensary within another institution.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hospital, or place where the infirm or sick are lodged and nursed gratuitously, or where out-patients are treated.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A place for the treatment of the infirm, or persons suffering from disease or injury.
- n. More particularly
- n. A general hospital for the inhabitants of a small town, or for the members of an institution, as a convent or school.
- n. A bureau or office for gratuitous aid and advice to outdoor patients in general, or for the treatment of special infirmities or deformities, as of the eye, ear, throat, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a health facility where patients receive treatment
In one corner of a large, unpainted building was what he called the infirmary, and a comfortless looking place it was.
Note 80: A doctor in the infirmary is mentioned in TSB, 42. back
With the com unit in hand, she called the infirmary to ask how Kamiton was.
The impact of the news upon Stephen, semi-delirious in the school infirmary, is registered in the
Kind of like when the typical western-themed summer camp names their infirmary “wounded knee”.
I wanted some time alone to think, to get my head on straight, and the infirmary was the only answer.
The infirmary was her domain, and she maintained complete professionalism.
Above the infirmary was a dormitory, where the servants slept.
As a result, the infirmary was the one room in the entire command center that wasn't all shot up; Special Forces were under orders to take the tracking system in one piece.
What renders this part of education still more complete, is the advantage of attending the infirmary, which is the best instituted charitable foundation that I ever knew.