from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A secondary involucre, as at the base of an umbel within a compound umbel.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. An involucre that forms at the base of a flower cluster within a compound inflorescence.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A partial, secondary, or small involucre. See Illust. of involucre.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In botany, a secondary involucre in a compound cluster of flowers, as in many of the Umbelliferæ. See cut under inflorescence (fig. 9).


New Latin involūcellum, diminutive of involūcrum, involucre; see involucrum.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.