from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. An enveloping sheath or envelope.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A sheath that covers or envelopes, especially one that forms around the sequestrum of new bone

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. See Involucre.
  • n. A sheath which surrounds the base of the lasso cells in the Siphonophora.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In zoology, a kind of sheath or involucre about the bases of the thread-cells of acalephs.
  • n. In botany: Same as involucre.
  • n. Same as velum.
  • n. In pathology, a wall of new osseous tissue inclosing the sequestrum in a case of necrosis.


New Latin involūcrum, from Latin, wrapper, envelope, from involvere, to enwrap; see involve.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.