from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or belonging to the iris family.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the irises (of family Iridaceae)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, or resembling, a large natural order of endogenous plants (Iridaceæ), which includes the genera Iris, Ixia, Crocus, Gladiolus, and many others.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling or pertaining to plants of the genus Iris.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or pertaining to or characteristic of plants of the family Iridaceae
In contrast with this let us take the Cape of Good Hope -- the most flowery region probably that exists upon the globe, -- where the country is a complete flower-garden of heaths, pelargoniums, mesembryanthemus, exquisite iridaceous and other bulbs, and numerous flowering shrubs and trees; yet the Cape butterflies are hardly equal, either in number or variety, to those of any country in South Europe, and are utterly insignificant when compared with those of the comparatively flowerless forest-depths of the