from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A railroad locomotive.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A steam railroad locomotive.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a locomotive.
- adj. a locomotive engine.
- n. A locomotive; -- an term no longer used.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (c. 1840) an early term for a locomotive
Sorry, no etymologies found.
My iron horse and carriage, the Bronx-bound D train, would get me there, and the only difference at this party was that 50,000 people hoped the Los Angeles Angels would turn into pumpkins at midnight.
"Travel by doherty wagon had advantages, like game en route, but I think I prefer the iron horse now.