from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The larva of certain wasps of the family Eurytomidae, especially of Harmolita tritici, that infest grains and cause hard swellings near the first joint of the stems.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The larva of a hymenopterous fly, found in gall-like swellings on wheatstalks, usually around the first joint.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The larva of a small, hymenopterous fly (Eurytoma hordei), which is found in gall-like swellings on the stalks of wheat, usually at or just above the first joint. In some parts of America it does great damage to the crop.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A jointed worm; an intestinal worm of the genus Tænia; a tapeworm. See cut under Tænia.
- n. The larva of a chalcid hymenopterous parasite of the genus Isosoma, as I. hordei, which is very destructive to crops of barley, wheat, and rye in the United States.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. larva of chalcid flies injurious to the straw of wheat and other grains
joint + worm (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.