from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of several Asian game birds of the genus Gallus, especially G. gallus, considered to be the ancestor of the chicken.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A gallinaceous bird of India, Gallus sonnerati, the first species of the genus known to naturalists, supposed to be one of the wild originals of the domestic hen, though the Gallus bankivus (see
Gallus) resembles the common hen more nearly.
- noun Any megapod of Australia, as Megapodius tumulus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Alternative spelling of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun small Asiatic wild bird; believed to be ancestral to domestic fowl
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.