from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of several plants in the buttercup family with yellow flowers, especially the marsh marigold.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The marsh-marigold, Cultha palustris.
- noun A plant: same as goldcup.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Bot.) The common buttercup.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun UK A local name for various species of
buttercup, or for the marsh marigold.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun swamp plant of Europe and North America having bright yellow flowers resembling buttercups
- noun any of various plants of the genus Ranunculus
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
It is not their Florence or yours -- and, remember, I would strike at Tuscany through Florence, and throughout Tuscany keep my eye in her beam, -- but my own mellow kingcup of a town, the glowing heart of the whole Arno basin, whose suave and weather-warmed grace I shall try to catch and distil.
Earthwork out of Tuscany Being Impressions and Translations of Maurice Hewlett Maurice Hewlett 1892
"May flowers" were put at the doors of houses and cattle-sheds, and these were not hawthorn blossoms, but the flowers of the kingcup, or marsh marigold.
Miscellanea Juliana Horatia Gatty Ewing 1863
Just when we were admiring a luscious colony of golden kingcup in a roadside hollow a solitary heron went by, slowly flapping its wings.
Our author thews us another fort of kingcup* ia the perfon of Latinus: he was deft en Jed from Saturn, and, as I remember* in the third degree.