from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hinged joint in which a pin fastens the ends of two rods, one of which has an eye that fits between the two perforated projections of the other.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a hinge joint, in which a projection with an eye, on one piece, enters a jaw between two corresponding projections with eyes, on another piece, and is retained by a pin which passes through the eyes and forms the pivot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An anatomical joint forming a knuckle, as one of the joints of the fingers; in a whale, the shoulder-joint.
- n. In mech., any flexible joint formed by two abutting links.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a joint of a finger when the fist is closed
- n. a joint allowing movement in one plane only
Sorry, no etymologies found.