from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small chapel in a church; dedicated to the Virgin Mary
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Built between 1450 and 1480 by Sir William St Clair, Laird of Rosslyn, it was originally intended to be simply the lady chapel of a much larger building that was supposed to be based on the design of the Temple of Solomon, but in the event it was to stand alone throughout the centuries.