from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A paper made on wire molds that give it a characteristic watermark of close thin lines.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. See under Laid.
  • paper marked with parallel lines or water marks, as if ribbed, from parallel wires in the mold. It is called blue laid, cream laid, etc., according to its color.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. writing paper having a watermark of fine lines running across the grain


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Handmade paper, identifiable by the parallel lines made by the papermaking frame. As with a watermark, the lines are visible when the paper is held up to the light. Compare to wove paper.

    February 22, 2007