from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A joint, as between two boards or metal parts, in which the ends or edges are overlapped and fastened together, usually so as to produce a flush or continuous surface.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a joint made by one layer, part, or piece, overlapping another, as in the scarfing of timbers.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A joint in which one edge of a board, plank, or plate overlaps the edge of another piece, the edges being partly cut away so that the pieces are in parallel relation with each other.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. joint made by overlapping two ends and joining them together


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.