from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A spin in figure skating in which the skater's upper body is arched backward.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A spin in which the head and shoulders are dropped backwards and the back arched downwards toward the ice. Also called a layback spin
- n. A maneuver to scale a vertical crack, by pulling with the arms and jamming the legs underneath, and shuffling up on limb at a time.
- n. A surf maneuver where the upright surfer leans back against the wave.
- n. A trick where the boarder leans back while on the lip of the ramp, or down a rail.
- n. The process of recording the final sound onto the master track.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But her spins were nowhere near as difficult as her jumps, and her layback was the main reason she was third behind Nagasu and Cohen.
The next move I need to make is a power move, a layback where the foothold is at hip height and tricky to balance on, and which will require a good deal of strength, especially since I need to use the momentum to lunge up to the next handhold.
And basically I just couldn't make myself step off the footholds onto the layback and do it.
If the conventional wisdom reigning supreme for the past couple of years is to be believed, the era of tiny bonuses, timid profits, and layback practices has been irremediably unleashed in financeland with no possibility for a turning back.
We use aussie slang, spell differently, drawl with our voices, love the great outdoors, are carefree, layback and obliging people.
Only Karaoke males, and a 16 year old mumbler (if she is any more layback she falls asleep) interesting at first but a bore now.
Basically has to I think at the beginning, at least, just sort of layback and poke holes in the prosecutions case.
I got to the point where I literally was trying to figure out, OK, I'm going to time this performance so that I can do one layback spin and, you know -- and I don't even do triple jumps, so I'm not talking about really difficult things the way the young kids are today.
An aborted entry meant Kim got no credit for her layback spin.
She opened with a perfect triple-triple before running into problems with a triple flip jump, missed a layback spin before messing up her spiral sequence.