from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To cause (someone) to believe an untruth.
- v. To misguide or misdirect.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. cause someone to believe an untruth
- v. teach immoral behavior to
- v. lead someone in the wrong direction or give someone wrong directions
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Then we have the gallant, gay Lothario, who not only fails to lead astray the lovely Fanny Price, but is converted by her to worthier aims, and ends by becoming the best friend and benefactor of her and her rustic suitor.