from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A pencil that uses graphite as its marking substance.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a pencil of which the marking material is graphite (black lead).

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. An instrument for making marks or lines, or for writing or drawing, made by inclosing a slip of plumbago or graphite (which is commonly called black-lead) in a small (generally cylindrical) casing of wood.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. pencil that has graphite as the marking substance


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.