from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any insect that cuts pieces from leaves.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A leaf-cutting bee, as any species of the genus Megachile: so called from their cutting or biting out morsels of leaves to line their nests with. Also called upholsterer.
- n. A knife used to cut the leaves of a book: same as paper-cutter.
- n. A leaf-cutting ant; one of the tropical or subtropical ants which defoliate trees, as Atta fervens.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. bee that cuts rounded pieces from leaves and flowers to line its nest
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Entire ships had been spirited out of the water and broken up, while gangs were busy stripping apart any intact military vehicle they could find, like hordes of busy leaf-cutter ants.
Measuring an inch or so long, the leaf-cutter queen lies at the heart of her sprawling subterranean empire.
The achievements of colonies of leaf-cutter ants have been hailed as “one of the major breakthroughs in animal evolution” by Edward Wilson at Harvard University.
One caste cuts foliage and leaves—their mandibular muscles make up one-quarter of their entire body mass—and some tropical ecologists estimate that the leaf-cutter colonies may harvest up to 17 percent of the total leaf production of a tropical rainforest where they thrive, in Mexico and Central and South America.
Queen leaf-cutter, who rules over the greatest super-organism, still has much to teach us.
In all, a single leaf-cutter nest may harbor a thousand such chambers.
Wilson likes to point out that both our civilization and that of the leaf-cutter owe their existence to agriculture.
Yeohlee Teng 's collection, inspired, the designer said, by leaf-cutter ants, introduced a silhouette that she referred to as crescent.
The jaws of leaf-cutter ants and locusts, for example, both contain high levels of zinc, making them particularly stiff and hard.
There are squash bees, blueberry bees, the hornfaced bee that pollinates apple trees, and alfalfa leaf-cutter bees.