from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A commissioned rank in the US Army, Air Force, or Marine Corps that is above major and below colonel.
- noun One who holds this rank.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A military officer next in rank below a colonel, and in some European armies commonly the actual commander of a regiment, the colonelship being honorary.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun An
army officerin most countries, ranking below a coloneland above a major. Often the commander of a battalionor the executive officer of a regiment.
- noun An officer in the United States Marine Corps or Royal Marines, of equivalent rank to their counterparts in the army.
- noun An officer in the United States Air Force, Air Force Reserve, or Air National Guard, ranking below
coloneland above major. Often the commander of a squadronor the executive officer of a wing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a commissioned officer in the United States Army or Air Force or Marines holding a rank above major and below colonel
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.