from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A commissioned rank in the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard that is above lieutenant and below commander.
- n. One who holds this rank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A naval officer whose rank is higher than a lieutenant and below that of a commander.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an officer in the United States navy, in rank next below a commander and next above a lieutenant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A commissioned officer in the United States navy, of a grade intermediate between that of commander and that of lieutenant, and ranking with a major in the army.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a commissioned officer in the Navy ranking above a lieutenant and below a commander
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.