from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A commissioned rank in the US Navy or Coast Guard that is above lieutenant and below commander.
- noun One who holds this rank.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A commissioned officer in the United States navy, of a grade intermediate between that of commander and that of lieutenant, and ranking with a major in the army.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A naval officer whose rank is higher than a
lieutenantand below that of a commander.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a commissioned officer in the Navy ranking above a lieutenant and below a commander
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.