from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The act of raising or rising.
- noun A lift; aid; assistance.
- noun An attempt; a tentative attack.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Used in, or for, or by, lifting.
- adjective a lift bridge.
- adjective See 2d
- adjective See Health lift, under
- adjective (Mach.) A pump which lifts the water only to the top of the pump, or delivers it through a spout; a lift pump.
- adjective a vertical rod lifted by a rock shaft, and imparting motion to a puppet valve; -- used in the engines of river steamboats.
- adjective (Naut.) one which tends to lift a vessel's bow out of water, as jibs and square foresails.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Weightlifting; a form of exercisein which weightsare lifted.
Plastic surgeryfor tighteningfacial tissues and improving the facial appearance; facelift.
- verb Present participle of
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The Rowntree Foundation has made it abundantly clear that the 'lifting' is not enough, and also that it has stalled.
I also lift weights, though I have been really bad about it lately, because it's difficult to work in lifting around climbing (both are extreme strength-training exercise, and both require recovery days, and I love climbing more than I ever loved lifting.) and I used to drill-kickbox and loved it, but I just don't have time for a martial art now.
But that heavy lifting is worth it, as freedom is truly served by helping our children spend at least a portion of their school days actually thinking.
As a rural rep, might we see good, effective legislation on getting the rural poor internet technology, often seen as an important stepping stone in lifting them out of poverty?
Steeling his resolve, he steps into her path, his chin lifting a little so the light behind her will illuminate his face.
"I'll pay it gladly," Davis said, again lifting the iron bar.
Olympic lifting is NOT on my list of favorite things to do but it's all part of trying something new.
Beauty made a small noise, chin lifting, and Tristan jerked back as he felt stubble scrape against his jaw.
The real snag in lifting bodies as spacecraft is abort during boost and the dynamics involved and the question as to if or not that problem can be solved and what the cost will be.
For two, I believe American prosperity serves to promote America's governance and market politics, which I believe are superior in lifting all boats.