from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A play used to restart play in Rugby after the ball has gone over the sideline, in which forwards of both teams line up in two lines parallel to the goal line and at least one meter apart, and a player on the team not responsible for putting the ball out of bounds flings the ball between the lines.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a set piece where a player throws the ball into play, and both teams can contest for possession.
  • n. an out produced by catching a line drive


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.