from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. The middle transverse rail of a door, at about the level of the hand, on or in which the lock is generally set.
  • n. In some door-frames, a crosspiece dividing the doorway from an open space above it in which a glazed sash is usually placed; a transom.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • "lock-rail" (where the door-knob and lock are inserted), and sometimes the "frieze-rail" between the lock rail and the top rail.

    Handwork in Wood


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.