from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A long distance: It is a long haul from New York to Los Angeles.
- n. A long period of time: Over the long haul the candidates performed well.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. travelling a long distance
- n. A long time; the long term; an extended period.
- n. a long distance
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a period of time sufficient for factors to work themselves out
- n. a journey over a long distance
It was after 9 o'clock that night when he finally drove the Hirondel off the boat at Dieppe and started on the long haul south.
Eighteen miles is a long haul on the double time with all the stuff aboard, as well as the extra load of Anto’s rifle and pack with clothes, even though they were at acme shape.