from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Patiently enduring wrongs or difficulties.
- n. Patient endurance. See Synonyms at patience.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having endured mental or physical discomfort for a protracted period of time patiently or without complaint.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Bearing injuries or provocation for a long time; patient endurance of pain or unhappiness; patient; not easily provoked.
- n. disposed to bear inconvenience or injury patiently; long patience of offense.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Long endurance of injury or provocation; patience under offense.
- Bearing injuries or provocation with patience; not easily moved to retaliation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. patiently bearing continual wrongs or trouble
- n. patient endurance of pain or unhappiness
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Roger McCormick adopted an expression of long-suffering patience.
Every night I’d call my long-suffering best buddy and read her whatever I’d produced that day.
A wife petitioning for divorce had to show how attentive, obedient, and long-suffering she had been and, of course, sexually faithful while she was being victimized.
The long-suffering bleakness was very pronounced on Nancy's face, and when the walls of water, in impending downfall, reared above the
Grail, Christ's own Grail, the warm human, long-suffering and maltreated, but to be rescued and saved at the last.
I love how Jacob looks so patient and long-suffering through it all.
Carolyn Bourne has been compared to Hyacinth Bucket above, with long-suffering husband Richard after an email she sent to her future daughter-in-law went viral.
The Oscar winning director/actor has yet to settle his expensive divorce with estranged and long-suffering wife Robyn, RadarOnline.com has exclusively learned.
The country's largest apparel retailer by sales, which is struggling to turn around its namesake brand's long-suffering North American operations, delivered the sobering outlook while reporting a 23% drop in profit for its fiscal first quarter.
It was a weird lament about a girl who had upset me, and I used to play it constantly to my long-suffering friends.