from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small Old World parrots, especially of the genus Agapornis, often kept as cage birds and noted for the apparent affection between mates.
- n. Informal A couple who are openly affectionate or demonstrative with each other, especially in public.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any small parrot from one of the nine species within the genus Agapornis (Greek: αγάπη agápē 'love'; όρνις órnis 'bird'), sometimes they are kept as cage birds, noted for their affection towards each other.
- n. (One of the persons of ) an openly affectionate couple.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any one of several species of small, short-tailed parrots, or parrakeets, of the genus Agapornis, and allied genera. They are mostly from Africa. Some species are often kept as cage birds, and are celebrated for the affection which they show for their mates.
- n. A small Australian parakeet (Melopsittacus undulatus) usually light green with black and yellow markings in the wild but bred in many colors; also called the budgie.
- n. small African parrot noted for showing affection for their mates.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A little parrot or parrakeet, remarkable for the affection it shows for its mate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small Australian parakeet usually light green with black and yellow markings in the wild but bred in many colors
- n. small African parrot noted for showing affection for their mates
Those do, sometimes, veer into the saccharine: secondary characters also end up in lovebird pairs, a heroine who pined for children turns out not to be infertile after all, a secondary love interest manages to knock him -/herself out of the running by secretly being a Bad Person and not a worthy rival at all, etc.
From their site: cheerful, colorful avians, two by two. freehanded on felt, so every bird is one-of-a-kind, like you. two-line saying in lovebird cursive (neat, carefree handwriting).
Any lovebird that lays eggs, it is a guarantee that the lovebird is a female.
Wait for a few seconds, if the nail start swinging in circles, the lovebird is a male.
Well, the wifi we were using "lovebird", decided they would lock it!
Most of the times I had traveled to Jamaica, I used the 'lovebird' out of emotional ties.
Hasn't this "lovebird" aware that the airports are on almost lockdown mode after the attempted terrorist attempt?
Most Nauseating Puppy Love: Platinum Hit's lovebird hipsters Johnny and Jes get all warm and fuzzy when they learn their challenge is to write about love — you know, that crazy thing that makes people weak in the knees and apparently abuse the English language.
My husband and I have five cats, seven dogs, a rabbit and a lovebird -- all rescues.
This week, we're back in Our World, as Peter and Real-livia work to repair the recent damage done to their relationship bringing her the proper coffee would be a good start, and Walter prepares a surprise breakfast for his favorite lovebird agents.