from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of the taxonomic family Lycaenidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any of various butterflies of the family Lycaenidae.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of the dipterous family Lycænidæ.
- Having the characters of or belonging to the family Lycænidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various butterflies of the family Lycaenidae
Weismann found, with regard to the climatic influence, that when the pupae of the German form of a lycaenid butterfly Polymmatus phlaeas was exposed to much higher temperatures, none of the emerged adults resembled the darkest form of southern variety eleus.
Among the invertebrates, the Mt. Piper region in Victoria is home to a threatened community of ant-attended lycaenid butterflies.
To the former group belong the phytophthorous Homoptera, the plant lice, scale insects, or mealy bugs, tree-hoppers, lantern flies, and jumping plant lice; to the latter belong the caterpillars of the lycaenid butterflies, the "blues," or
Genotype-specific response of a lycaenid herbivore to elevated carbon dioxide and phosphorus availability in calcareous grassland.