from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The longer of the two lines about which an ellipse is symmetrical; the axis that passes through both focuses of an ellipse.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Geom.) The greater axis of a geometrical figure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun geometry The longest
diameterof an ellipse, running through the centerand foci, with its endsbeing the widest pointsof the shape.
- noun geometry The diameter of a
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the longest axis of an ellipse or ellipsoid; passes through the two foci
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.