from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A nipple or teat.
- noun A nipple-shaped protuberance.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The nipple of the mammary gland.
- noun Some nipple-like or mammillary structure.
- noun In entomology, a small conical process or appendage on a surface; a mammula.
- noun [capitalized] In conchology, a genus of gastropods.
- noun In botany, applied specifically
- noun to tubercles on a plant-surface, as in
- noun to the apex of the nucleus of an ovule
- noun to granular prominences on some pollen-grains.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Anat.) The nipple.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun anatomy The nipple.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the small projection of a mammary gland
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Thus is formed the prominent female breast (mamma), on the top of which rises the teat or nipple (mammilla).
Habet autem ftellasy i | i dextra manu quatuor, quae non occidunt: in capite claram vnam, in ftngulis humeris iingulas, in fingulis mammiliis ciaras iingulas, in dextra parte corporis fub mammilla obfcuram vnam, in dextro cubito claram vnam, inter vtraque genua claram vnam et; magnam, quae eft Arfturus: jn fingulis pedibus iingulas.
We must, indeed, in my opinion, separate them entirely from one another; and I would venture to propose for the group comprised in the old genus Podura, the term Collembola, as indicating the existence of a projection, or mammilla, enabling the creature to attach or glue itself to the body on which it stands. "