from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bullfight in which two rival matadors take turns fighting several bulls each.
- n. A face-to-face confrontation or competitive struggle: a mano a mano between the presidential candidates.
- adj. Being or suggestive of a face-to-face encounter or contest: a mano a mano duel between golf pros.
- adv. In direct competition: an industry gearing up to go mano a mano with a rival.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A head-on conflict or direct competition; a duel.
- adj. In close confrontation.
- adv. Characterized by head-to-head competition or conflict.
Spanish : mano, hand + a, to.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Spanish, literally hand to hand; on equal footing, neither of two participants having any distinct advantage. (Wiktionary)