from The Century Dictionary.
- noun One of the different insects which bore the wood of maples. Such are Ægeria (or Sesia) acerni in its larval state, Tremex columba, and Plagionotus speciosus.
- noun Besides the species mentioned are the following: A cerambycid beetle, Glycobius speciosus.
- noun Any one of several homtail borers of the family Uroceridæ, as Xiphydria albicornis and Oryssus sayi.
- noun The larva of a buprestid beetle, Dicerca divaricata.
- noun Any one of several scolytid beetles, as Xyloterus politus and Corthylus punctatissimus.
- noun A calandrid beetle, Stenoscelis brevis.
- noun A ptinid beetle, Xestobium affine.
- noun The larva of the leopard-moth, Zeuzera pyrina.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.