from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The dress or disguise of a maske; masquerade - Marston
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The dress or disguise of a masker; masquerade.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A masking or disguising; a masquerade.
- n. The dress or disguise of a masker.
- n. Pretense; the assumption of a better or nobler character than the real one.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The maskery and cheating glory of the great ones of this world moves him not to envy their fanciful pomp; but when on the dunghill himself, he can forget his own present sorrows, to pity them in all their bravery, knowing that within a few days the cross will be off his back, and the crowns off their heads together-their portion will be spent, when he shall be to receive all his.