from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A masking or disguising; a masquerade.
- noun The dress or disguise of a masker.
- noun Pretense; the assumption of a better or nobler character than the real one.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun obsolete The dress or disguise of a masker; masquerade.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun obsolete The dress or disguise of a
maske; masquerade- Marston
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The maskery and cheating glory of the great ones of this world moves him not to envy their fanciful pomp; but when on the dunghill himself, he can forget his own present sorrows, to pity them in all their bravery, knowing that within a few days the cross will be off his back, and the crowns off their heads together-their portion will be spent, when he shall be to receive all his.