from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various solitary bees of the family Megachilidae, found worldwide, that build clay nests.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the bees of the genus Osmia, which have the habit of making compartments of mud in their nests.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any one of numerous species of solitary bees of the genus Osmia. They construct curious nests of hardened mud and sand.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An aculeate hymenopterous insect of one of the genera Anthophora, Osmia, Chalicodoma, and some others, which construct their nests with grains of sand agglutinated together by means of a viscid saliva, and fix them on the side of walls, etc., or avail themselves of some cavity for that purpose. See cut under Anthophora.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous solitary bees that build nests of hardened mud and sand
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.