from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A reminder of death or mortality, especially a death's-head.
- n. A reminder of human failures or errors.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Lit., remember to die, i.e., that you must die; a warning to be prepared for death; an object, as a death's-head or a personal ornament, usually emblematic, used as a reminder of death.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A decorative object, usually an ornament for the person, containing emblems of death or of the passing away of life: common in the sixteenth century.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a reminder (as a death's head) of your mortality
New Latin mementō morī, be mindful of dying : Latin mementō, sing. imperative of meminisse, to remember + Latin morī, to die.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)