from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In cytology, a collective term applied to lifeless or non-living substances or inclusions such as yolk-bodies, starch, pigment, etc., in the cell-protoplasm, as distinguished from the living substances.
- noun In botany, protoplasm containing certain carbohydrates which are eventually separated from it in the formation of cell-walls or as secretions.
- noun In grammar: A change or transmutation in a word by adding, transposing, or retrenching a syllable or letter.
- noun Formation of an oblique case or cases from a stem other than that of the nominative.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Gram.) A change in the letters or syllables of a word.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun linguistics Any
changein a wordmade by altering its lettersor sounds
- noun biology A small
particle(often nutrient) within a cell
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.