from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Alteration of a word by the addition, omission, or transposition of sounds or syllables or the letters that represent them.
  • n. Nonliving material in the protoplasm of a cell, such as pigment granules or nutritive substances.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Any change in a word made by altering its letters or sounds
  • n. A small particle (often nutrient) within a cell

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A change in the letters or syllables of a word.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In grammar: A change or transmutation in a word by adding, transposing, or retrenching a syllable or letter.
  • n. Formation of an oblique case or cases from a stem other than that of the nominative.
  • n. In botany, protoplasm containing certain carbohydrates which are eventually separated from it in the formation of cell-walls or as secretions.
  • n. In cytology, a collective term applied to lifeless or non-living substances or inclusions such as yolk-bodies, starch, pigment, etc., in the cell-protoplasm, as distinguished from the living substances.


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

Middle English metaplasmus, from Latin, from Greek metaplasmos, remodeling, from metaplassein, to remold : meta-, meta- + plassein, to mold; .
meta- + -plasm.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.