from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A vertical water space in a firebox or combustion chamber within a steam boiler.
- n. A support for the centre of a tunnel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A vertical water space in a fire box or combustion chamber.
- n. A support for the center of a tunnel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hollow horizontal septum in the furnace of a steam-boiler, which, being filled with water, forms a sort of water-bridge, under and over which the flame of the fuel is caused to pass.
mid- + feather (Wiktionary)
-- The method of tenoning the bearers which carry the drawers, or the midfeather between two drawers, in a dressing table or similar carcase is here shown.
On completion, the tenons on the midfeather are wedged diagonally.