from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of several furry burrowing rodents of the genus Spalax and related genera in the family Spalacidae, having short limbs and reduced eyes and found in eastern Europe, central Asia, the Middle East, and Africa.
- noun Any of several burrowing rodents of the family Bathyergidae, having short limbs and reduced eyes and found in sub-Saharan Africa.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A myomorphic rodent quadruped of the family Spalacidæ (which see for technical characters): so called from its resemblance to a mole in appearance and habits.
- noun A fossorial murine rodent of the family Muridæ and subfamily Siphneinæ.
- noun The Australian duck-mole or duck-billed platypus, Ornithorhynchus paradoxus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Any of several small
rodentsin taxonomicfamilies Bathyergidaeand Spalacidae.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun African rodent resembling a mole in habits and appearance
- noun furry short-limbed tailless rodent resembling a true mole in habits and appearance; of eastern Europe and Middle East
- noun burrowing scaly-tailed rat of India and Ceylon
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.