from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Botany Having flowers bearing a single stamen, as in the poinsettia.
- adj. Of, relating to, or characterized by monandry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having only one stamen in each flower.
- adj. Having only one male sexual partner over a period of time.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the monandria; having but one stamen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In zoology and anthropology:
- Having one male or husband; living in monandry; monogamous, as a female.
- Relating to monandry: as, a monandrous system or custom.
- In botany, having a single stamen; belonging to or having the characters of the class Monandria.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having only one husband at a time
Sorry, no etymologies found.
For man is by nature a monogamous and monandrous being; polygamy and polyandry are inconsistent with the fundamental characteristics of his nature; they are diseases of civilisation which would vanish spontaneously with a return to the healthy conditions of existence.
We belong, to speak plainly, to a species of animals which nature intends to be monogamous and monandrous.