from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A short, tight-fitting jacket, traditionally worn by sailors.
- n. See mess jacket.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of close-fit jacket worn by sailors
- n. A semiformal lightweight jacket, usually made of nylon, with striped cuffs and neck, similar to an MA-1 flight jacket.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a short closely fitting jacket, worn by sailors.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A short close-fitting coat or jacket, generally made of stout material, as pilot-cloth, much worn by sailors in cold weather; a Guernsey frock.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. waist-length jacket tapering to a point at the back; worn by officers in the mess for formal dinners
From its resemblance to the jacket worn by an organ grinder's monkey.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.