from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The practice or condition of having only one wife at a time.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The practice of having one wife at the same time.
- n. The condition in ants of having only one queen at a time.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Marriage with the one woman only.
- n. The state or condition of being monogynous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology and anthropology, a mating with only one female or wife; the monogynous state: correlated with monandry.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. having only one wife at a time
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Despite praise for levirate marriage, it was almost completely abandoned by the end of the second century C.E. as it often clashed with the move toward monogyny.
However, internal developments, as well as the influence of the western civilizations under whose aegis the Jews had come beginning with the third century B.C.E. (the Greeks and then the Romans), tended toward monogyny and dowry marriages.