from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. An upward cut with a blade
  • n. An upright piece in any framework, such as a muntin or stile
  • n. The first scent of a cognac

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. An upward thrust or blow.
  • n. An upright piece in any framework; a mullion or muntin; a stile.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • Rising; specifically, in her..
  • increasing, or in her increment (applied to the moon), or
  • placed in pale and with the head or point uppermost (same as haurient in the case of a fish).
  • n. In fencing, apparently a blow from below upward, but the sense is uncertain.
  • n. In joinery, the intermediate vertical part of a piece of framing which is tenoned with the rails. See cut under door.


From Italian montante (Wiktionary)
From French montant (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.