from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To place under municipal ownership.
- transitive v. To make into a municipality.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To convert into a municipality
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To bring under municipal oversight or control.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make a municipality of; render municipal in character.
- To transfer from private to municipal ownership and management: applied especially to such transfer of water, gas, and electric-lighting works, street-railways, docks, and ferries, and less frequently to such transfer of bakeries, abattoirs, and markets.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Even if we "municipalize" all sorts of undertakings we shall not alter the essential facts, we shall only substitute for the shareholder the corporation stockholder.
In 1940 NYC stepped in to fully “municipalize” the IRT and BMT and merge them with its own fully publicly financed and operated division, the IND.
There are constant attempts to municipalize the private system.
Despite the ill nature of the offer, the city offered to put it on the ballot along with a vote to municipalize, but Xcel refused, demanding that the city also offer citizens a separate "status quo" measure.
He, strange to relate, has come rather to admire Cowperwood and sees no advantage in a policy that can only tend to municipalize local lines.
State to step in to nationalize or municipalize; the Individualist reformer who wishes to preserve competition where practicable, at the same time recognizes that it is impossible to do so where monopolies have become firmly rooted in certain industries, and he also at this point proposes nationalization, municipalization, or thoroughgoing governmental control.
For instance, it has been clear to many from the time of Karl Marx that it would be necessary for capitalist society itself to nationalize or municipalize businesses that become monopolized, without any reference to Socialism or the Socialists.
Will it need to municipalize him in order to protect itself?
Committee has led the second school and has opposed efforts to municipalize the milk business.
Unless physicians test themselves and their profession by results, we shall be compelled to "municipalize the medical man."