from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cloud of smoke and debris shaped like a mushroom, especially one created by the detonation of a nuclear bomb.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large, mushroom-shaped cloud of smoke, flame and debris that rises into the sky as a result of a large explosion, especially after a nuclear explosion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a cloud of smoke rising and then spreading laterally to take on the shape of a mushroom -- caused by large fires or explosions, esp. nuclear explosions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cloud, specifically an ascending cloud, which spreads outward and downward at the top in a form resembling that of a mushroom.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large cloud of rubble and dust shaped like a mushroom and rising into the sky after an explosion (especially of a nuclear bomb)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The rage blooms purple in my mind, amid a small mushroom cloud of pulverized grit and the burning smell of the sock that comes between the rock and the chockstone, melting with the friction heat of each strike.
"It is difficult to put the mushroom cloud back iato the steel casing."