from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small antlerless deer (Moschus moschiferus) of the mountainous regions of central and northeast Asia, the male of which secretes musk.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a small hornless deer (Moschus moschiferus), which inhabits the elevated parts of Central Asia. The upper canine teeth of the male are developed into sharp tusks, curved downward. The male has scent bags on the belly, from which the musk of commerce is derived. The deer is yellow or red-brown above, whitish below. The pygmy musk deer are chevrotains, as the kanchil and napu.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A. small ruminant, Moschus moschiferus, of the family Cervidæ and subfamily Moschinæ, the male of which yields the scent called musk.
- n. In an improper use, a tragulid, chevrotain, or kanchil, small ruminants of the family Tragulidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small heavy-limbed upland deer of central Asia; male secretes valued musk
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.