from The Century Dictionary.
- Shaped so as to resemble the head of a nail.
- Ornamented with round spots whether in relief or in color, as textile fabrics.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Having a head like that of a nail; formed so as to resemble the head of a nail.
- adjective arrowheaded or cuneiform characters. See under
- adjective (Arch.) an ornament consisting of a series of low four-sided pyramids resembling the heads of large nails; -- called also
nail-head molding, or nail-head. It is the same as the simplest form of dogtooth. See Dogtooth.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It was thought a wonderful thing when at last the strange inscriptions of Assyria were read, made of nail-headed characters whose sound was lost; it was thought a triumph when the yet older hieroglyphics of Egypt were compelled to give up their messages, and the world hoped that we should know the secrets of life.
The same can be said for nine inch nail-headed electronic sampler