from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A light women's gown.
- n. A loose women's dressing-gown, especially when lacy or revealing; a nightgown.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Easy and unceremonious dress in general: as, she appeared in negligée.
- n. A form of loose gown worn by women in the eighteenth century.
- n. See negligée necklace, below.
- Carelessly arranged or attired; unceremoniously dressed; careless.
From French négligé ("underdressed; loose garment"), past participle of négliger ("to neglect"), from Latin negligere. (Wiktionary)