from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A watch or guard kept during the night.
- n. The person or persons on such a watch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a watch kept on some premises, or on a town, by guards during the night
- n. the guards on such a watch
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A watch, or guard, to aford protection in the night.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a watch during the night (as from midnight to 8 a.m.)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.