from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who serves as a guard during the night.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Prior to police forces, a person appointed by a town or city to walk the streets at night and guard the burghers from felons and robbers.
- n. A person who guards (usually at a building) at night.
- n. The last batsman in a three or five day game to play on a particular day and thus carry over the batting to the following day.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a watchman who works during the night
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.