from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A loose garment worn in bed by women and girls. Also called nightdress.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A garment mainly worn by women for sleeping in.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A loose gown used for undress; also, a gown used for a sleeping garment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A loose gown worn in one's chamber, at night or in the daytime; a dressing-gown; a robe de chambre; a negligée gown or house-dress, for either men or women.
- n. A night-dress for women, high in the neck, with long sleeves, and covering the whole person.
- n. A night-dress for men.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. lingerie consisting of a loose dress designed to be worn in bed by women
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Jareth was half asleep when Sarah came out of the bathroom now wearing a beige satin nightgown and matching robe.
And, Betsy, be sure Molly's nightgown is buttoned up all the way.
Obviously she says yes, in an excited flutter (notice the bed and her nightgown are all white).
Now this was paralysis; for the nightgown is a recent institution.
Initially, though, my nightgown was a huge step up from the ratty old T-shirts I used to wear to bed.
Maybe you even get to see the pope in his "nightgown"?
The young man looked quite decent in his light yellow costume, a kind of nightgown without sleeves.
In particular, such things as buying shoes for comfort, becoming excited at the prospect of making soup, purchasing a bread-maker, and investing in a pair of proper pyjamas or a nightgown (the use of the term "nightgown" is a sign in itself that the clock is ticking).
For the Court, detaining Iris Mena in handcuffs, in her nightgown, for just being in the house posed no problem.
She was dressed only in a thin nightgown and was not allowed to put on any additional clothes despite the cold temperature.